How to Improve Chemical Management in the Workplace with CHAMP
Improve Workplace Chemical Safety
If you’re looking to eliminate the guesswork & improve chemical safety in the workplace, Chemscape’s chemical management program, CHAMP, provides businesses with chemical advice for planning and improving worker safety.
How to Control Chemical Hazards in the Workplace
The risk assessment tool calculates the controls required and presents this information in easy-to-understand icons for field workers. It asks the questions an Industrial Hygienist would ask when assessing chemical hazards.
Recommendations follow the Hierarchy of Controls and are adjusted based on product use and your current controls.
Knowledgeable Health and Safety Professionals can customize the PPE to their situations.
Improve chemical management in the workplace
Benefits of Using a Chemical Management Program
Restrict or prohibit hazardous products and ingredients.
Establish rules in CHAMP to flag hazardous ingredients of concern. Enforce your company objectives and policies for sustainability and health with an effective chemical management program.
Search for less toxic chemical substitutions.
CHAMP offers a powerful built-in substitution tool to identify safer product substitutes in order to improve worker safety and reduce potential hazards. This promotes a proactive approach to chemical risk management.
Centralized chemical approvals
Chemical approvals are completed in seconds from one centralized location. Set-up chemical approvals in CHAMP and specify who can approve certain hazard levels at certain locations, create approval groups, or even auto-approve low hazard chemicals for workflow efficiencies.
Use CHAMP as a tool for proactive worker protection
Move your chemical management from a reactive to a proactive program. CHAMP increases the effectiveness of workplace chemical safety by bringing chemical awareness into the project planning and procurement stages. Manage environmental risk better by knowing the workplace hazards and regulatory implications of the chemical at the start. Here’s how CHAMP can help revolutionize your safety protocols:
- Identification of substances in the workplace: CHAMP empowers your organization to pinpoint and categorize designated substances found in the workplace, such as Benzene, Silica, and Diesel Exhaust, and helps you create exposure control plans.
- Search for high-hazard chemicals and substitutes: CHAMP’s search capabilities allow you to easily find high-hazard chemicals and search for safer, less hazardous substitutes.
- Location-specific hazard identification: CHAMP provides location-specific hazard identification, ensuring you have the right safety measures and first aid equipment in place such as eye wash stations are appropriate and available for corrosive substances.
- Robust approval system: CHAMP's chemical approval system ensures additional controls such as respirators and secondary containment are used to cover the residual risk of exposure.
Use CHAMP as a chemical reference
CHAMP provides an objective reference for decisions made on chemical use. Search for substances on regulatory lists which may require exposure controls and/or reporting.
With CHAMP, you’ll also be able to demonstrate to OHS auditors that you have the tools to quickly identify hazards in your chemical inventory. You can identify and download a list of chemicals in your inventory by:
- GHS Classification (Physical, Health or Environmental)
- TDG Classification
- Hazard Band (E – Most Hazardous to A – Least Hazardous)
- Regulatory List (i.e. Country, State/Province, PFAS, SARA, CEPA Schedule 1)
- Health List (i.e. ACGIH, Prop 65, Target Organs, Ototoxins)
- CAS Number
Prioritize your health and safety efforts and budget by ranking the chemicals by hazard. Use these rankings to demonstrate the range of chemical hazards to leadership and your workforce.
Cut Through Chemical Complexity with CHAMP
CHAMP helps you cut through chemical complexity and gain a proactive approach to workplace chemical safety. Extend your Industrial/Occupational Hygiene Resources with CHAMP software to understand and control your workplace chemical hazards in seconds. With CHAMP, you’ll be able to ensure:
Every chemical task is performed safely and efficiently.
Every risk is understood.
Every precaution is taken.
Every worker is safe on the job and healthy in retirement.
"Interaction with the Chemscape staff is frequent and the response is always timely. Support is superb. Improvements in the system are ongoing and input always welcome. I'm happy to recommend the services of Chemscape Technology Services."
Tyler Morse, Manager of HSSE, RBS Bulk Systems
Contact Chemscape to improve chemical management in the workplace