Top 10 reasons to do spring cleaning with a chemical inventory
March 21, 2017
Spring is a great time to take stock of all your chemicals onsite and purge what is no longer required. Having an accurate inventory benefits many areas of your health, safety and environment program. Here are 10 reasons to start spring cleaning and take inventory:
- Dispose of obsolete chemicals to minimize the type and the quantity of chemicals in storage. Some chemicals have an expiry date and their chemical state changes over time to become reactive or explosive.
- Dispose of chemicals not used in the last year. These pose unnecessary hazards in your workplace.
- Ensure PPE inventory and other controls matches the hazards of your chemical inventory.
- Check if your emergency plans are up-to-date. If there is an incident do you have an awareness of what exactly is onsite and where it is stored?
- Be aware of all physical, health and environmental hazards on-site.
- Ensure your SDS Binder matches the product inventory.
- See if you can eliminate or substitute high hazard chemicals? See if you require additional monitoring or exposure tracking for chemicals of concern. Do you need additional communication plans (i.e. code of practice, exposure control plans)?
- Evaluate if storage of your chemicals is compatible, secure, and properly labelled.
- Check if training/education needs to be updated for the hazards on hand.
- See if you can optimize chemical purchasing.